Organized in 1898, ASTM International is one of the world's largest international standards developing organizations. Defined and set by us, ASTM standards improve the lives of millions every day. Combined with our innovative business services, they enhance performance and help everyone have confidence in the things they buy and use - from the toy in a child's hand to the aircraft overhead. By understanding commercial needs and consumer priorities, we touch every part of everyday life - helping our world work better.
ASTM Fact Sheet
ASTM is driven by the expertise and commitment of its 30,000 members, who hail from more than 140 countries. They use good science, good engineering and good judgment to improve performance in manufacturing and materials, products and processes, systems and services. Businesses, governments and individuals collaborate openly and transparently in our technical committees, ensuring our standards combine market relevance with the highest technical quality. Many global industries and institutions choose our trusted standards. ASTM standards are used and accepted worldwide and cover areas such as metals, paints, plastics, textiles, petroleum, construction, energy, the environment, consumer products, medical services, devices and electronics, advanced materials and much more.
Products and Services
Over 12,000 ASTM standards are published each year and can be found in the 80+-volume Annual Book of ASTM Standards or on this website. We also generate and disseminate technical information through our Digital Library, enterprise solutions, training courses, proficiency testing, certification and declaration and Standardization News magazine.
Notable Facts about ASTM International
- Open: Members hail from over 140 countries representing over 90% of the world's population.
- Transparent: Our standards development process is available and open to all interested parties at any time. (Join here.)
- Relevant: More than 6,700 ASTM standards have been adopted as the basis of national standards or referenced in regulations in countries outside the United States.
- Forward Looking: We have invested heavily in technology. Our work item registration and online balloting systems, for example, enhance the transparency of our standards development process.
- Global: Half of our standards are distributed outside the United States; we have signed memorandums of understanding with over 90 national or regional standards bodies.
- Collaborative: For over 115 years, ASTM has been the forum where industry and government stakeholders come together to create standards that impact people everywhere.